Physical Security Specialist
Van Andel Institute is an agile biomedical research and science education institute known for breaking down barriers that hold innovation captive. We are guided by a founding mission; to improve the health and enhance the lives of current and future generations.
Van Andel Institute’s Physical Security Department supports the Van Andel Institute’s Scientific and Educational mission by protecting the assets of the Institute: people, property and information through consistent quality service 24 hours a day – 365 days a year.
We are currently seeking a Physical Security Specialist who will be responsible for providing professional support to the Physical Security Director in organizing, administering and coordinating multiple facets of programs, projects, systems and/or processes involving security, parking related matters and special events.
As a Physical Security Specialist, you will also assist with the oversight responsibilities for the protection and safety of the Institute, its employees and visitors as well as the promotion of Security Awareness through various forms of media, i.e., internal communications, orientations, etc. This includes completing directives, instructions and assignments issued by the Physical Security Director, including matters of a highly confidential and sensitive nature, and promptly undertake and advise appropriate management of all matters of significance as they occur.
Some of the high level responsibilities you can expect to fulfill would include:
- Security control room operator experience involving dispatch, emergency response and experience with CCTV. Control Room supervisory experience preferred.
- Oversite of training, communication, scheduling for control room operators
- Review CCTV data and monthly audits/reports, keep metrics, maintain CCTV equipment, trouble shoot problems, and correct issues and provide leadership and coordination during site surveys.
- Monitor, test and respond to electronic security system alarms and coordinate emergency situations/activities keeping all personnel updated.
- Develop policy and procedures including control room training manuals and oversees training and manual revisions
This job might be right for you if:
You enjoy helping others, have strong interpersonal skills, the ability to build relationships, and work with a diverse group of people.
You are patient, levelheaded and possess a positive attitude at all times.
You pay attention to detail and are able to handle details of a highly confidential and critical nature.
You are motivated and driven, you take ownership of your projects, you are able to meet deadlines and you possess a high degree of initiative. If you don’t know the answer, you’ll dig until you find it.
You love taking on challenges and finding the best solution whether it be tried-and-true or cutting edge.
You enjoy collaborating and working as part of a team. You respect the skills each team member brings to the table while still being able to provide constructive criticism.
You must have the ability to think strategically, see the “big picture,” recognize the impact of decisions on the Institute and be meticulously organized and a strong planner.
You must have excellent communication skills and enjoy working as part of a fast paced, high output team that believes in the pursuit of excellence.
To join our team you will need to have at least:
- Bachelor’s degree and direct position experience, knowledge, and skill or equivalent in security, law enforcement or military police, plus a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in providing security related services and at least two (2) years of leadership, coaching, mentoring and/or supervising staff.
- Able to handle security protocols and ensure contract employees meet specific performance requirements.
- Demonstrated understanding of control room activities and annual emergency drills.
- Demonstrated superior written and verbal communication skills, ability to utilize computer applications of varying degrees of complexity.
- Project management skills, ability to handle conflict and difficult situations and conflict resolution skills are essential.
- Emergency communication systems, including CCTV and access control and surveillance systems preferred.
- Medical First Responder, basic criminal investigation skills and contractor staffing, hiring and training experience preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
If you possess these attributes and the desire to help us provide best in class support to our employees, we would welcome speaking with you and strongly encourage you to apply today by providing us a cover letter and current resume.
In your cover letter, please outline your security background and future career goals, and explain how these factors fit with the position described.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of “America’s Top 100 Places to Live.”
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you’d expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids’ diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.